Introducing the First Water-Based Liquid EPDM
Lion Elastomers has developed a unique liquid ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM) designed specifically for water-based applications, including coatings, inks, adhesives, sealants, and caulks. Trilene® 65D is an EPDM dispersion with cross-linking functionality, good mechanical strength, and compatibility with various latex resins. EPDM has special properties derived from the saturated backbone structure and side-group unsaturation to enable cross-linking.
Trilene® 65D EPDM from Lion Elastomers
- EPDM elastomer (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer)
- 50/50 ethylene/propylene ratio (45% ethylene by weight)
- Dispersed in water
- 55% solids by weight
- Adhesion and tackifying properties
Trilene® 65D EPDM Coating Applications
- Industrial Coatings
- Primary binder or modifier for roofing, industrial maintenance, and institutional paints
- Adhesives and Sealants
- Binder or modifier in pressure-sensitive adhesives and industrial caulks
- Inks and Overprint Varnishes
- Modifier for laminating inks and overprint varnishes
When used in coating applications, Trilene® 65D EPDM imparts:
- Excellent UV, heat, oxidation, and chemical stability
- Good mechanical strength
- Enhanced durability
- Zero volatile organic content (VOC)
- Improved flexibility
- Hydrophobic with low surface energy
- Controllable viscosity at room temperature
- Stable mechanical properties
- Cross-linking capabilities with metal driers, peroxides, or UV light
- Low-moisture permeability
- Adhesion properties to a variety of surfaces
Physical Properties for Sample Coating Formulations using Trilene® 65D EPDM
|VOC (lb/gal)||ASTM D3960||0.32|
|Solids (wt%)||ASTM D3960||48|
|Specific gravity||ASTM D1475||1.02|
|Brookfield viscosity @ 25°C (cP)||ASTM D2196||4,800|
|Dry to touch (hrs)||ASTM D1640||(8–16)|
|Dry to handle (hrs)||ASTM D1640||(16–24)|
|Impact strength (in-lb)||ASTM D2794||>90|
|Crosshatch adhesion (CRS)||ASTM D3359||5B|
|Pencil hardness (7 day)||ASTM D3363||3B|
Sample coatings formulation
|Raw Material||Function||Weight (grams)|
|Ti-Pure™ R-706||TiO2 pigment||44.77|
|DISPERBYK® 2055||Wetting and dispersing aid||0.91|
|Mineral spirits or VOC exempt solvent||Solvent||19.03|
|Ricon® 156||Homopolymer resin||3.81|
|10% Cobalt Hydro-Cure® IV||Primary drier||0.53|
|12% Zirconium Hydro-Cem||Secondary drier||0.76|
- Mix the deionized water, DISPERBYK® 2055, and Ti-Pure™ R-706 until well dispersed.
- Mix the mineral spirits, Ricon® 156, and SR350 until homogeneous.
- Add Trilene® 65D to the resin mixture.
- Combine the dispersed Ti-Pure™ and resin mixtures.
- Add 10% Cobalt Hydro-Cure® IV and 12% Zirconium Hydro-Cem last.
*a VOC-exempt solvent can be substituted for mineral spirits
† a peroxide like PEROXAN PIN can be added to make a 2K system and further accelerate cure time
‡ base formula is considered low VOC
Trilene® 65D EPDM offers desired properties for water-based coatings, adhesives, inks, caulks, and sealants. If you are interested in learning more or testing a sample, click to talk to an expert about how Trilene® 65D can work for your formulation.